Table of Contents
Last Updated on: 22nd February 2023, 02:39 pm
It’s no surprise that most things get ruined when they go to the washing machine along with clothes, for instance, currency notes or documents won’t survive the wash.
However, you might be a tiny bit curious about credit cards — so am I. What does happen to a credit card when it gets washed in the washing machine? Does the washing machine ruin it? Can a credit card survive the wash?
Therefore, I dug deeper into this to find out what happens to a credit card if it goes into the washing machine.
Most sources tell the same story: the credit card won’t be damaged and would still work unless the chip is destroyed.
It turns out, most bank cards are made of waterproof plastic that would easily survive the rinse and repeat of the washing machine. However, the card chip, on the other hand, might not survive this mishap.
Simply put, keep your credit/debit cards in your wallet because they might not work properly if they are washed out in the washing machine.
There may be some instances where bank cards would not be ruined or be working properly after the wash, but it’s not worth the risk.
You won’t want to wait ten minutes at a check-out counter at a supermarket and find out that your credit card isn’t working.
|Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.|
What Would Happen If the Wallet Went Through Washer or Dryer?
If your wallet goes through a washer or dryer, it may cause damage beyond repair. You might be able to recover the soaked dollar bills using a hair dryer, but unfortunately, the credit/debit cards might get ruined.
The problem with a wallet going through a washer or dryer is that the wallet contains several items, such as bank cards, driving licenses, car registration, cash, business cards, receipts, and other documents.
- 5 CYCLE SELECTION
- IMPRESSIVE FUNCTIONALITY
- STAINLESS STEEL TUB
- DESIGNED FOR MOBILITY
- EASY TO OPERATE
- Easy to Use
- Space saving
- Extremely Energy Saving
- Child Lock Functionality
- Delay Start & Reloading
- Perfect for apartments and small houses
- Good for drying baby's clothes and delicates
- Multiple wash modes: Heavy, Soft, Normal, Rapid, and Soak
- Transparent lid design
- A compact design washing
It’s also possible that your bank cards would survive the washer fiasco just because the cards were in the wallet. Since the washers soaked all the clothes during the rinse and repeat process, the soapy water would surely get into the wallet and soak every item in it.
The chances are quite slim that a bank card would survive if it goes through a washing machine, but it could happen.
The dryer on the other hand uses heat to dry out the clothes, chances are, the bank cards won’t survive the dryer phase.
FAQs About Credit Cards in the Washing Machines and Dryers
Let us answer some of the frequently asked questions about washing machines, dryers, and credit cards on the internet:
Can a bank card survive a wash?
Most bank cards are made of plastic, which can be damaged by water, detergent, and the agitation of the washing machine. Additionally, the high heat of a clothes dryer could also damage or warp the card.
It is unlikely that a bank card would survive a wash. It is best to keep bank cards and other important documents away from water and heat to prevent damage.
- Activated Baking Soda To Help Eliminate Odors
- Tough on Stains
- Great Everyday Value
- Leaves Laundry Smelling Fresh
- Scent: Alpine Clean
- Freshlock. 1 scoop. 2 weeks of freshness.
- 6 weeks of freshness from wash until wear.
- Regular and HE Washer compatible.
- Like any household detergent, keep away from children.
Can heat damage credit cards?
It’s highly unlikely that any bank card would survive any kind of heat exposure that alters its composition – size, color, design, and structure. However, it depends on the temperature and nature of exposure, for instance, a person walking down the bank ATM with the ATM card in his wallet won’t be a problem.
On the other hand, if a person put his bank card in the microwave open, it would surely damage the bank card. Therefore, the nature of exposure and strength of heat would determine whether or not the bank card would damage.
Can a dryer melt a credit card?
A dryer can melt a credit card. Credit cards are made of plastic, which can melt when exposed to high temperatures. It is important to be careful when putting items in the dryer and to check for any items that may melt or damage easily.
What can damage a credit card?
Most people know that water and fire could damage any bank card, but there are a few other things that would do the same. Here are the things that can damage a credit/debit card:
- Heat or fire: Exposure to high temperatures, such as putting a credit card in a hot car or dryer, can cause the plastic to warp or melt.
- Water or moisture: Credit cards can be damaged by water, as it can cause the magnetic strip or chip to malfunction.
- Scratches or rustiness: Scratches on the magnetic strip or chip can interfere with the card’s ability to be read by a card reader.
- Bending or mishandling: Credit cards can be easily bent and it can damage the magnetic strip or chip on the card, making it unreadable.
- Chemicals or gases: Exposure to certain chemicals, such as cleaning supplies, can cause discoloration or damage to the plastic.
- This compact dryer (23.6” x 21.5” x 27.5”) is ideal for smaller spaces and apartments.
- Pick from different drying modes to best suit your needs: Air Dry, Cool, Warm & Hot.
- Our portable dryer comes with a 4” diameter vent hose & exhaust connector, lint & exhaust filters.
- Drying times with this outstanding compact dryer vary from 30 minutes to 200 minutes.
- This portable dryer is your top solution for drying sheets, towels, clothes, and other everyday items.
- The weight of this clothes dryer is only 47 lbs, and the small size makes it portable.
- The design of the stainless steel tub makes this clothes dryer more durable.
- The noise of this clothes dryer is minimal.
- Set the time length or different mode for drying: Cool (0-20mins): Low temp dry, Warm(30-120mins): dry and cool cloth, Anti-wrinkle, Hot (120-200min).
- With 1500W power and 13 lbs large capacity, this clothes dryer can ensure your clothes dry quickly.
- 2.6 cubic foot capacity fits up to 9 lbs. of clothes per load
- The Avanti compact dryer is perfect for apartments, condos, vacation homes, RVs, or any small laundry space.
- Includes front control panel, auto dry / timed dry settings, air dry (fabric refresh), anti-wrinkle, front load window, and multiple installation options
- This portable compact dryer uses a standard 120-volt outlet..
- Specs of the dryer are 27.5" H x 23.75" W x 18.75" D, 2.6 cu. ft. capacity, 49lbs, 110 volts/60 Hz
What’s the Takeaway?
When it comes to laundry mishaps, people often complain about washing machines shrinking clothes, but most of you probably never heard of credit cards getting ruined by the washer.
The reason is that most people keep their bank cards in their wallets, which is the right thing to do.
Remember that the washing machine is supposed to wash the clothes, not to protect the delicate items in the pockets.
The takeaway from this article is that don’t keep your documents or bank cards at the mercy of the washers or dryers. Always check your pockets before the wash, just in case.