Table of Contents
Last Updated on: 20th June 2023, 09:28 pm
Keeping your dark clothes from fading is no easy job. There are several ways to avoid clothes fading, but try using less detergent, washing with cold water, and avoiding direct sunlight to dry them.
Whether you’re using a washing machine or doing most laundry by hand, it’s essential to figure out what causes the clothes to fade. Once you find out the reason behind this, then you could perhaps fix it.
If you’re wondering how to keep dark clothes from fading, you’re not alone. A lot of people struggle with clothes getting faded over time.
|Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.|
Some blame the detergents while others point fingers at their old, dingy washing machines. The majority of people don’t know exactly why their washing machine fades the clothes.
Anyways, it’s our job to help guide you and share whatever we learned or figured out along the way.
No one wants to wear a black new t-shirt that looks faded after the first rinse or a blue women’s top that is faded after a couple of washes.
So without any further ado, let’s get to the cream of this article.
Tips to Keep Dark Clothes from Fading
Here are some tips to keep dark clothes from fading:
- Wash in cold water: Cold water helps to preserve the color of dark clothes by preventing the heat from breaking down the color molecules.
- Use a mild, high-quality detergent: Avoid using harsh detergents that can strip away the color from your clothes. Opt for a gentle, color-safe detergent instead.
- Put the same color clothes in the washer: Washing dark clothes with other dark clothes helps to reduce fading, as the dye from one garment won’t transfer onto another.
- Avoid exposure to direct sunlight: Direct sunlight can cause clothes to fade, so it’s best to avoid exposing your dark clothes to direct sunlight for extended periods.
- Turn clothes inside out: When washing, turn your dark clothes inside out to help reduce friction that can cause fading.
- Hang to dry: If possible, hang your dark clothes to air dry instead of using a dryer, as the heat from the dryer can cause fading. Pick a room where there is no direct sunlight but the ventilation is good enough.
- Store in a cool, dry place: Avoid storing dark clothes in a place that is exposed to direct sunlight or high temperatures, as this can cause fading over time.
- Activated Baking Soda To Help Eliminate Odors
- Tough on Stains
- Great Everyday Value
- Leaves Laundry Smelling Fresh
- Scent: Alpine Clean
- Freshlock. 1 scoop. 2 weeks of freshness.
- 6 weeks of freshness from wash until wear.
- Regular and HE Washer compatible.
- Like any household detergent, keep away from children.
What Colors Fade the Most After Washing?
It’s a bit hard to give a straightforward answer to this question. Since clothes color fading depends on more than one factor, for instance, color type, fabric quality, detergent, and washing machine.
Mostly colors that are more likely to be influenced by other colors during the laundering process are dark and bright. The darker and brighter the colors, the higher the chance of fading.
Some of the colors that are most likely to fade after washing include:
- Red: Red is known for its tendency to fade quickly, especially when exposed to sunlight or heat or washed too aggressively.
- Black: Black is a combination of several dyes, which can make it more prone to fading over time.
- Purple: Purple is often made by combining red and blue dyes, which could fade after a wash.
- Navy blue: Navy blue is another color that can be made up of several different dyes, which makes it prone to fading.
To avoid clothes fading, follow the instructions on your clothing labels, especially about washing the clothes. Most washing tips include wash clothes in cold water, don’t use bleach, and drying clothes on low heat.
Can You Wash Black Clothes With Other Clothes in the Washer?
- 5 CYCLE SELECTION
- IMPRESSIVE FUNCTIONALITY
- STAINLESS STEEL TUB
- DESIGNED FOR MOBILITY
- EASY TO OPERATE
- Easy to Use
- Space saving
- Extremely Energy Saving
- Child Lock Functionality
- Delay Start & Reloading
- Perfect for apartments and small houses
- Good for drying baby's clothes and delicates
- Multiple wash modes: Heavy, Soft, Normal, Rapid, and Soak
- Transparent lid design
- A compact design washing
Most people prefer washing the same color clothes together instead of mixing them up. They don’t want to risk their light-colored clothes by putting them in the washer along with black or any dark-colored clothes.
Usually, there is no harm in washing black clothes with other clothes in the washing machine. However, a lot of people are hesitant about doing this. Therefore, you need to sort this out before putting all clothes at once.
Always check the label on your black clothes to make sure they can be machine washed. Some delicate items may require hand washing or dry cleaning.
- This compact dryer (23.6” x 21.5” x 27.5”) is ideal for smaller spaces and apartments.
- Pick from different drying modes to best suit your needs: Air Dry, Cool, Warm & Hot.
- Our portable dryer comes with a 4” diameter vent hose & exhaust connector, lint & exhaust filters.
- Drying times with this outstanding compact dryer vary from 30 minutes to 200 minutes.
- This portable dryer is your top solution for drying sheets, towels, clothes, and other everyday items.
- The weight of this clothes dryer is only 47 lbs, and the small size makes it portable.
- The design of the stainless steel tub makes this clothes dryer more durable.
- The noise of this clothes dryer is minimal.
- Set the time length or different mode for drying: Cool (0-20mins): Low temp dry, Warm(30-120mins): dry and cool cloth, Anti-wrinkle, Hot (120-200min).
- With 1500W power and 13 lbs large capacity, this clothes dryer can ensure your clothes dry quickly.
- 2.6 cubic foot capacity fits up to 9 lbs. of clothes per load
- The Avanti compact dryer is perfect for apartments, condos, vacation homes, RVs, or any small laundry space.
- Includes front control panel, auto dry / timed dry settings, air dry (fabric refresh), anti-wrinkle, front load window, and multiple installation options
- This portable compact dryer uses a standard 120-volt outlet..
- Specs of the dryer are 27.5" H x 23.75" W x 18.75" D, 2.6 cu. ft. capacity, 49lbs, 110 volts/60 Hz
The next up is to sort your clothes by color to avoid any bleeding or color transfer. Wash black clothes with other dark colors, like navy blue or dark green, and avoid washing them with light colors or whites.
Then, turn your black clothes inside out before washing them. This can help protect the surface of the fabric and prevent fading or damage.