Table of Contents
Last Updated on: 21st June 2023, 12:11 pm
If you’re wondering whether or not you can wash pillows in the washing machine, then you’re at the right place. Let us answer that for you.
Yes, you can wash pillows in the washing machine. However, don’t rush to the laundry area without reading the rest of the blog post. There are a handful of steps to consider before throwing your pillows in the washer.
Pillows are no doubt a part of our comfortable nights. We rest our heads on them every night so we need to make sure that they are clean. I am not talking about the pillowcase but the pillow itself.
|Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
After excessive use, your pillow may start to turn yellow because of the accumulation of dust and oil. If it is turning yellow, it’s probably the best time to wash them.
Do you have any idea how long it has been since you washed your pillows? It is suggested to wash your pillows at least 2 to 3 times a year to make them germ-free and to remove the dirt.
You might wonder how you can wash your pillows in the washing machine. Let us walk you through the whole process:
How can you wash your pillows in the washing machine?
Most of the pillows can be washed in washing machines. Don’t forget to read the label to know if it recommends machine washing or washing by hand. Feather pillows and polyester pillows can be washed in a washing machine.
- 5 CYCLE SELECTION
- IMPRESSIVE FUNCTIONALITY
- STAINLESS STEEL TUB
- DESIGNED FOR MOBILITY
- EASY TO OPERATE
- Easy to Use
- Space saving
- Extremely Energy Saving
- Child Lock Functionality
- Delay Start & Reloading
- Perfect for apartments and small houses
- Good for drying baby's clothes and delicates
- Multiple wash modes: Heavy, Soft, Normal, Rapid, and Soak
- Transparent lid design
- A compact design washing
Things you need:
- Washing machine.
- Laundry detergent.
Here are the steps to follow while washing your pillows in the washing machine.
- Step 1: Remove the pillow covers
The first step is to take off your pillowcase and the pillowcases should be washed separately from the pillow it will give a better result.
- Step 2: Put the pillows into the washing machine
Fill your washing machine with warm water. If your pillow is made from polyester or feathers it is fine to wash them in a washing machine. So after removing the pillowcases put your pillows in the washing machine to start the washing process.
- Step 3: Add detergent
Add a cup of your washing detergent into the washing machine. Add the recommended amount of bleach to the washing machine.
- Lavender, lilac, and jasmine fragrances are combined.
- Subtle fruity tones let the strong floral scents shine.
- Bottle made from 25% or more recycled plastic.
- Part of the Soothing Sensations collection
- Made with 100% orange oil
- Can wash away stains and odor
- Food-grade orange oil is safe for the skin
- The laundry detergent is chemical-free.
- Dermatologically tested and USDA certified.
- Whiter and brighter fabrics after one wash
- Part of the Tide Plus Collection
- Specially designed for HE washing machines
- Item Form: Liquid
- Scent: OXI
- Unit Count: 150 Fl Oz
- Step 4: Start the washing
After adding the pillow and the detergent, switch on your washing machine and let it complete one wash cycle.
- Step 5: Dry them
Place your pillow in the dryer and set the temperature to the desired level. You can put drying balls in them to aid them in drying completely.
- Step 6: Air-dry them
After drying those in the dryer, take them out and let them sit in an open space and air dry them entirely.
- This compact dryer (23.6” x 21.5” x 27.5”) is ideal for smaller spaces and apartments.
- Pick from different drying modes to best suit your needs: Air Dry, Cool, Warm & Hot.
- Our portable dryer comes with a 4” diameter vent hose & exhaust connector, lint & exhaust filters.
- Drying times with this outstanding compact dryer vary from 30 minutes to 200 minutes.
- This portable dryer is your top solution for drying sheets, towels, clothes, and other everyday items.
- The weight of this clothes dryer is only 47 lbs, and the small size makes it portable.
- The design of the stainless steel tub makes this clothes dryer more durable.
- The noise of this clothes dryer is minimal.
- Set the time length or different mode for drying: Cool (0-20mins): Low temp dry, Warm(30-120mins): dry and cool cloth, Anti-wrinkle, Hot (120-200min).
- With 1500W power and 13 lbs large capacity, this clothes dryer can ensure your clothes dry quickly.
- 2.6 cubic foot capacity fits up to 9 lbs. of clothes per load
- The Avanti compact dryer is perfect for apartments, condos, vacation homes, RVs, or any small laundry space.
- Includes front control panel, auto dry / timed dry settings, air dry (fabric refresh), anti-wrinkle, front load window, and multiple installation options
- This portable compact dryer uses a standard 120-volt outlet..
- Specs of the dryer are 27.5" H x 23.75" W x 18.75" D, 2.6 cu. ft. capacity, 49lbs, 110 volts/60 Hz
How to wash pillows by hand
The memory wash pillows need to be washed by hand. It is considered one of the safest methods and is very effective. Following are the steps to follow to get better results by washing your pillows by hand.
- Step 1: Remove excess debris
Dust, dirt, and oily secretions can penetrate the pillow even with the pillowcase. You should dust off excess dirt and debris by patting it. This will help in the effective cleaning of the pillow.
- Step 2: Soak in detergent
Take a large tub and wash it thoroughly before adding water. After washing the tub add warm water to it, and add 1 cup of detergent in the tub. Swirl the water to make bubbles. Now add your pillow but don’t soak your memory foam pillow for a very long time.
- Activated Baking Soda To Help Eliminate Odors
- Tough on Stains
- Great Everyday Value
- Leaves Laundry Smelling Fresh
- Scent: Alpine Clean
- Freshlock. 1 scoop. 2 weeks of freshness.
- 6 weeks of freshness from wash until wear.
- Regular and HE Washer compatible.
- Like any household detergent, keep away from children.
- Step 3: Wash by hand
After 30 minutes of soaking the pillow, press down the foam gently by your palm and gently knead the pillow. Flip the pillow and continue using the kneading technique. Gently squeeze the corners of your pillow.
- Step 4: Rinse
When your pillow is nice and clean, start rinsing the pillow with clean water. Soak the foam in clean water and gently press it down to remove the debris and the detergent. Use the same hand technique to wash off the detergent from the pillow.
- Step 5: Dry
Memory foam should not be dried in the dryer as vigorous spinning can cause crumbling and damage to the foam. The safest method to dry the pillow is air drying it in the sun. Spread the pillow on a clothesline or a clothes rack in the sun if it is not possible, dry it under a fan.
How often should a pillow be washed?
Pillows need to be washed at least twice a year i.e. after every 6 months. You can wash them after every 3 to 4 months to keep them clean and to avoid any allergic reactions but don’t go further than 6 months.
Most of us have dogs or cats at home, so we have to be careful with everything. Developing a habit of cleaning your sofas, bed sheets, cushions, and pillows could avoid allergies.
Anyway, you can either wash your pillows in the washing machine or by hand.