Table of Contents
Last Updated on: 18th February 2023, 06:56 pm
Leather jackets are everybody’s favorite fashion clothing, but can you wash leather jackets in the washing machine? It not only protects us from the cold but also offers us a fashionable and sophisticated image.
|Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
You may have heard about washing jeans in the washing machine. So you might think, can you wash leather jackets in the washing machine? The answer is no; a leather jacket should never be washed or dried in a washing machine.
When it comes to laundering our leather jackets, we all have a dilemma. Either they should be washed in the washing machine, washed by hand, or air-dried.
Washing them in a washing machine can cause the leather to crack, shrink and dry out. There are several things you can do on your own to keep your prized leather gear tidy and pleasant.
Methods to wash leather jackets
Let’s take a look:
Wet wipes or spot-cleaning method
It is one of the fastest and easiest methods you can use to clean your jacket in any urgent state. You can make your leather jacket brand new just by following the tips below:
- Use a dry cloth to clean the excess dirt from the leather jacket.
- Take warm water in a bowl and add 1 to 2 drops of detergent to it.
- Soak a clean, soft cloth in the above mixture.
- Rub the soaked cloth on the leather jacket in a circular motion.
- Make sure to provide special attention to any stained areas.
- Dry your jacket by using a dry, clean cloth.
- You can use a leather conditioner to polish it for a new look
- Milk can remove stains on clothes, but don’t use it on a leather jacket.
Wash by Hand
One of the best and most reliable methods to clean your leather jackets is simply washing them by hand. Use the following method to clean your leather jacket, giving it a perfect look.
- Take a large tub or sink. Fill the tub with water.
- Add detergent to the tub. And mix well.
- In the meantime, soak the leather jacket in the bathtub. Toss it in the water for at least 10 to 15 minutes.
- Remove the leather jacket after 15 minutes and rinse it 2 to 3 times with clean water.
- Do not dry the jacket in direct sunshine. Direct heat can damage leather. Don’t even think of putting it in the washing machine. Hang it to dry naturally.
Can you dry-clean leather jackets?
Dry cleaning a leather jacket is not the best option for cleaning it and should only be used if it is extremely stained. Because dry cleaning strips the leather of its natural oils, these oils must be replaced at the end of the cleaning procedure.
- Activated Baking Soda To Help Eliminate Odors
- Tough on Stains
- Great Everyday Value
- Leaves Laundry Smelling Fresh
- Scent: Alpine Clean
- Freshlock. 1 scoop. 2 weeks of freshness.
- 6 weeks of freshness from wash until wear.
- Regular and HE Washer compatible.
- Like any household detergent, keep away from children.
How often should a leather jacket be washed?
At least once a year, clean and condition your leather jacket. And more frequently if it is worn many times and is exposed to harsh circumstances. To avoid damage, if you wear a leather jacket more than once a week, it should be cleaned every six months.
Is it safe to dry a leather jacket?
If you get caught in the rain, you may be tempted to put your leather jacket in the dryer. Don’t! Heat can dry up and fracture leather, distorting the garment’s contour. It will also cause your leather to shrink.
A leather jacket lasts a lifetime. If you prefer to spice up your clothing, this durable fabric is your best friend. You can always trust your leather jacket to save the day, regardless of color or style. Cleaning it at least once a year and conditioning it will extend its life and increase its quality. So, to keep your leather jacket in tip-top shape, follow these simple guidelines.