Last Updated on: 11th September 2021, 12:39 am
Are you curious about keeping your washing machine clean? Before we get to how to keep your washing machine clean, let’s admit that it’s essential to clean and service every type of machine every now and then.
Since cleaning is an important part of your life, at least for most people, it’s important to take care of the washing machines. We do dishes, dusting, walls, cars, so washing machines are no exceptions — you got to keep your washing machines in good shape.
You won’t want the dirt, bacteria, soap, detergent, and mildew sitting inside the washing machine. If you leave it unclean, it will begin to smell and get rusty as well.
Look, if you have spent money on a washing machine, then you got to take care of it. I’m going to give you some tips on how to keep your washing machine clean at home so that you don’t run into washing machine problems.
8 Tips to Keep Your Washing Machine Clean
Here we go:
1. Use less detergent
Modern washing powders have advanced washing formulas and detergent properties for removing stains on your clothes. Prefer using less amount of detergent for your laundry.
2. Clean the filter
Your washing machine has a filter on the drain pump that is most often detachable. Make a habit of cleaning this filter once a week.
3. Run an empty hot cycle
Many modern washing machines and detergents are very effective in removing dirt from clothes at a relatively low temperature. But this thing ultimately leaves dirt to build up inside the machine.
Running an empty hot water cycle once a month in your washing machine can keep your washing machine clean.
4. Remove the detergent tray
A detergent tray is the dirtiest part of your washing machine. For cleaning it, first, you need to turn off your washing machine and then pull out the detergent tray.
You can read instructions in the user manual for cleaning it. The best way can be the use of a toothbrush to scrub and clean its all nooks properly.
5. Check for an advanced Cleaning Mode
Some washing machines come with an advanced cleaning mode. You can simply use that mode for keeping your washing machine clean. Instructions about that cleaning mode are given in the handbook of your washing machine.
6. Leave the door ajar
After every wash, you should leave the detergent dispenser tray and the door of the washing machine slightly ajar to let the air circulate and help in preventing the build-up of smell in the washing machine. This also helps to keep your washing machine dry.
7. Clean the exterior
You should regularly (once a week) clean the exterior of your washing machine with a damp cloth. This prevents the clogging of any dirt or detergent on the outer surface.
8. Remove the load quickly after washing
Remove a load of your clothes immediately after you have finished washing. This will prevent any smell or mist to build upon your clothes. This will keep your clothes freshly washed and clean.
How to clean a front loading washing machine
Follow the following useful steps :
- Run an empty hot water cycle to remove any build-up dirt and detergent.
- Wash using a detergent or bleach on a 40-degree wash cycle to remove any foul odors.
- Remove the detergent tray or drawer and clean it properly using a toothbrush or soak it in a sink or a hot water tub.
- Use a damp cloth to wipe out any dirt in the hole of the detergent tray and also pull back the rubber seal from the door to clean all the scum from underneath.
How to clean a top-loading washing machine
To clean a top-loading washing machine, follow the following simple steps:
- Run an empty hot water cycle to remove any build-up dirt or detergent inside it.
- Run a second hot wash cycle for 30 seconds using a washing machine cleaner to remove any kind of smell and let it rest for almost 30 minutes after the wash.
- If you still find any detergent and dirt inside the washing machine, you can use a damp cloth and manually clean the interior of the washing machine.
Since you have gone through the tips on how to keep your washing machine clean, now you could increase its life span.
One last piece of advice is that don’t forget to clean your washing machine at least once a month.
All the best.